Laos & China Summer 2005

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Marker Mangos

Mom: I love you Mom! glad you are enjoying the descriptions.

Christy: Thanks for all your thoughts on dueling. Actually, I think Albert was at fault, although it was a bit confusing. He was at fault because he don’t think he actually challenged the Count. He went to talk to the Count at the Opera and was very disrespectful, and was going to strike the Count but was stopped and the Count took it as enough to demand a duel. Anyhow either way Albert apologized the proper way and it turned out to work fairly well.
Interesting that you tried something like the Mango’s and sticky rice.

Elise: You Rock! One Month?! I have no idea how much that is, but I know it’s a huge amount—especially for one sitting. I think you do receive an award or something. Just a min…

I, Luke Storer, hereby present Elise Glanzer with the official:


“I just read a month's worth of your blog in one sitting and I am still alive Award.”

Would everyone please give Elise a hand.

Thanks for calling to tell Hanna about the fact that I quoted her. I was hoping she would hear about it somehow. The musical entertainment thing you did sounds really cool. What kind of musical entertainment did you do? Email about it at: luke.storer@gmail.com

Bekah: Thanks for reading everything. It’s quite a lot of reading to do. I have enjoyed writing, and I am glad you enjoy reading it. I’m looking forward to China. (that is coming up VERY quickly) And I am so glad you were able to raise all the support for your trip! That is excellent! I have heard from Bethany Moos (usually about at least once a week we email each other or see each other online) She is doing very well were she is at too.

Dad: I love you! Glad your enjoying everything.

Everyone: I am a little surprised. No one made any comment about peanut butter and tomato sandwiches. I guess it must not sound so strange after all. Or perhaps you all figured I was odd enough that there really was no reason to say anything about it… after all it is Luke. Anyhow I found that a bit amusing.

Official blog entry:

I guess I haven’t told you much about how I am doing recently, and that is mostly because there is nothing to tell. I have been doing very well—rarely feeling lonely. The last time I was bothered by an “attack” of loneliness was on Sunday, and the feelings were not overwhelmingly strong this time so I was able to distract my mind with other things before a very long. The days are going by rather quickly, and before long my teaching experience in Laos will be over. I have mixed feelings about that. It’s exciting that I will able to go experience a new culture, and I am very excited to be with people I know, but it’s really too bad I couldn’t work with these students for a longer period of time. My students keep saying that they need me to stay for a whole year. I agree that would be good, but I also am REALLY looking forward to going home.

I had some fun this afternoon with my teaching. I ended up writing a sentence asking a person for another piece of fruit. Then I took my container of markers and said, “Let’s pretend this is a plate of Mangos. Ask me for a piece of fruit.” One person said, “Can I have another piece of fruit?” I told her no because she can’t have another until she has had one. “You need to say, ‘Can I have a piece of fruit’ first, and then you can say ‘can I have another piece of fruit?’” It was a lot of fun as we practiced asking for more fruit and passed the markers around. It was good practical practice too. Something they will actually use.

The other day we were talking about America and one of my students asked why it is when America goes to help a country there is always a war. Good question. They were probably thinking mostly about Vietnam and Iraq. I think I mentioned it earlier in an earlier entry that Laos had tons (literally tons: about 1 ton per person) of bombs dropped on it during the Vietnam War. Naturally my students don’t like war at all. I thought it would make for an interesting discussion to ask what they think of America’s war in Iraq, but I wanted to wait to find a couple articles they could read defending both sides first. I looked on the internet, but I haven’t found anything that will really work. I need something short and not too complicated, but with enough information to explain the issues. (not an easy request) So if anyone has ideas, where I could find something, let me know.

-Luke

Postscript: Have you ever bruised the bottom of your foot? It doesn’t feel too good. (Luke makes a face of disgust)

2 Comments:

  • Your marker-mango idea sounds like fun. A step further would be to have them ask, "May I have a piece of fruit?" rather than "Can." That's one I've had my share of corrections on.
    By the way, for anyone else out there, peanut butter and tomato sandwiches are good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM  

  • Official peanut-butter-and-tomato sandwich remark:
    I don't like them. The flavors are not unpleasant together, but they kind of aren't together at all, if that makes any sense. They do not meld into any kind of complementary flavor. Like water and oil: one stays on top and the other stays on bottom, and even when you mix them up, they still don't mix. As a chef, one wants flavors that not only do not harm each other but also meld into something greater than the sum of the whole, and I am afraid this interesting Storer delicacy does not do that in my mouth. There was something else like that that I ate recently. Oh, cucumbers and yogurt. There's no fusion, just an useasy coexistence.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home