Laos & China Summer 2005

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Computer Expert

Subject Line: "Hello, I am Luke Storer, and might I add in all modesty, a recognized computer expert in Savannakhet, Laos" (modified quote from Adventures in Odyssey: when Eugene first enters Whit's End in the episode where Connie goes to California.)

Responding to comments:

Dad and Christy: Thanks for the encouraging words

Official blog entry:

Today’s second session of teaching how to use the printer/scanner/copy machine, went very well. I explained by mostly demonstrating how to do it, with little explanations here and there. It probably sounded something like this:

“Ok, first, click here… now… see what happened. This is the “crop” tool. If you want to make the picture so that it only has this part, click and highlight like this. then click here. See. Do you understand?”

After showing them the basics of the machine, one teacher said, “show me how to use this [referring to some picture editing program, like Adobe Photoshop, but not] I had never used this program, but it was close to other programs I had seen, so I went through and found out what each tool was by simply doing it. and showing them what that tool did… another example of what it might have sounded like:

“Ok, this is the clone tool.” I don’t know what it does… let me see… [Luke attempts to use the tool] ok… see what it did. click where you want to start, and then click in an open area, and move the curser like this… see… it copies the picture over here… now if you click again, it will copy again, and again… understand?”

Then they asked me to show them how to use Excel. (at this point, I was wondering how much they thought I knew… and what they wanted me to teach them exactly) so we messed around a little, and they tried to show me what they use it for, and they tried to ask me how to do something, and it took a while for me to understand, and when I did, I could help them anyhow… I just don’t know enough about Excel.


So I asked, “any more questions” a little afraid of what their response would be.

They said, “meecrosof wor”

“What,” Luke’s forehead crinkled in confusion.

“meecrosof wor”


“Oh,” I smiled as I recognized what they were saying. “Microsoft Word,” I said emphasizing the consonants. They repeated what I said, practicing their pronunciation.

So I went and opened word and asked them what they needed help with. On teacher showed me Format Columns. I demonstrated that, and then I remembered that the other day someone wanted to add a picture to text, so I took a picture that we had just scanned, and I showed them how to format the picture and make a text box, so that the text wraps around the picture.

That’s about all of that. I took some pictures today of a couple houses and of some people working in a rice field. They should give you an idea of what this place is like. (after I get them developed when I return to America)

-Luke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home