Laos & China Summer 2005

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Ice Cream Bikers

Responding to comments:

Heather: I did not forget snack before breakfast, snack before lunch, snack before supper. I chose not to add it to the list. (smile) I said it was a list of a few of my favorite things. In addition to that, I would also say that the snacks are not nearly so significant as the meals themselves. I do enjoy them, but I would not place them on my “favorite” list.

Christy: I mostly enjoyed the book, though I was a little disappointed with the very ending. But I will write you an email instead of posting all of that here. (I would not like to ruin it for anyone.)

Official blog entry:

Not much new happened today, so I will just tell you another thing about Laos. They have ice cream bikes here. Pretty much the same as an ice cream truck—they drive around town slowly and play annoying music to make their presence known. There are only a couple of differences. One is that they drive a peddle powered vehicle (like a bike), and instead of playing a full song, it is a clip of something. Actually there are two different clips, but they are both cut off. So you hear it start to play this song… and then all of a sudden after about a measure and a half, it stops… then it is silent for a while and then it starts the second clip and plays about a measure and a half.

It is only the most annoying thing I have to listen to every single day of my life. (smile) (an attempt to quote Hanna… maybe not the best job… but an attempt nonetheless) The music is quite loud, so there is no way you can escape hearing it. (no matter where you are) “You hear it at least once a day, and when you hear it, you hear it every time it plays its song… all the way down the street!” Luke said with clenched teeth. And if you happen to go to another part of town, you will probably hear it again. “Oh Joy.” Luke said sarcastically without any trace of joy in his voice. (Luke laughs and shakes his head) Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little.

-Luke

4 Comments:

  • I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
    - ropobopin dopad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:15 AM  

  • I am incredibly backlogged in keeping up with reading your blog ever since leaving for Brasil. I did read today's post just so I would have an excuse to comment to you. I really appreciate your comments on my blog. It is so exciting to know someone is enjoying what you are investing time into. So I wanted to return the favor. Also, you may remember a certain song that I learned on the piano back in the dark ages. Some know it as "Chopsticks" but the actual name is "Heart and Soul." You know the song that has two parts and every young person learns to play it. I think you were annoyed by that too when I played it. So the question is: Did that annoy you more or do the Ice cream bike annoy you more? Or are brothers and Ice cream bikes incompadable in their "Annoying Quotients?"

    By Blogger Micah and Kim Storer, at 9:03 AM  

  • Have you ever had the ice cream? Is it good? The ice cream I had in Romania was ghastly, but the gelatto I had in Hungary and Austria was, of course, the most delightful thing in the world.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 AM  

  • Favorite things:
    1. Writing
    2. Reading
    3. Grey, rainy days (preferably with thunder)
    4. Writing and reading on grey, rainy days
    5. The moon, especially when it is the barest sliver of a crescent.
    6. Eärendil
    7. Autumn leaves
    8. Herbs
    9. Lilacs in the cemetery.
    10. Violin concertos, especially by Sibelius.
    11. Pink. Brown. Grey.
    12. Coffee: freshly ground and very strong. Espresso poured over vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce and cocoa powder (called an affogatto) is especially lovely.
    13. Chocolate: good, high-quality, 70% dark chocolate
    14. The evening sky just after the sun has gone down and the bright colors are gone; the western horizon is pale, and as you look up along the dome of the sky, the blue gets darker and darker until it is almost black in the east and beginning to be studded with stars.
    15. Long, deep conversations with dear friends.
    16. Being absolutely silly with dear friends.
    17. Bagpipes.
    18. Chopin’s Nocturne in C sharp minor.
    19. Languages
    20. Ice skating

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home