Laos & China Summer 2005

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Greatest Among You Will Be Your Servant

Responding to comments:

I got a jolly grand total of four comments today! Hurray! (lately they have been a little low, so it is nice to have so many)

Dad: I really don’t have anything to say, except thanks for leaving a comment Even if it didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t know or ask me a question, it let me know that you read my blog. Thanks (grin)

Micah: I really like the word you used, “backlogged.” They should make sure they put it in the dictionary along with the new words associated with blogging which they have already inserted. (weblog, blog, blogger etc.) I have been backlogged before. When I was in Thailand without internet access several of my friends started their own blogs, and it was quite overwhelming at first to get up to date. I am sure it is all the more overwhelming with my blog. (I speak with an abundance of words)

You are welcome for the comments I put on your blog. I know if is nice to get them.

Which is more annoying… “Heart and Soul” or the Ice Cream Bike music? It’s hard to say. My automatic response would be the ice cream bikes are much more annoying, but that is because I have to deal with it right now. Heart and Soul isn’t bothering me right now. But I am pretty sure that since Heart and soul is at least music (not just a couple of short measures of a song) The Ice cream bikes have a higher annoying quotient.


Christy: Have I ever had the ice cream? Not the stuff from the bikes. Jay said it might not always be the most sanitary thing. But I did have ice cream in Thailand from safer sources, and it was very good, but not really any different from American ice cream. Thanks for your Favorite things list.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

***NEWS FLASH!***

THIS JUST IN... LUKE STORER WAS ABOUT TO POST HIS NEWEST BLOG ENTRY, WHEN HE READ AN EMAIL FROM A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE SAYING THAT THE ICE CREAM FROM THE ICE CREAM TRICYCLES IS MOST LIKELY SAFE TO EAT.

REPEAT!!! THE ICE CREAM FROM THE ANNOYING BIKES IS INDEED SAFE TO EAT!

THANK YOU, THAT IS ALL.


PLEASE WAIT A MOMENT AS WE RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BLOG READING......

loading........



loading.....



loading.......



perfecting image......




23% complete.....




55% complete.......



57% complete.....



98% complete......


DONE.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Official blog entry:

Walking around every day in flip flops has helped me to understand why washing someone’s feet was a job for a servant. In a place where you have a lot of grass and paved roads and most people where shoes, the dirtiest your feet get normally is just a little sweaty. But when the roads are dirt or gravel, there is a lot of dust, and it is hot here, so your feet might get a little sweaty and then the dust sticks to them. Then when it rains, it gets muddy, and your feet can get pretty muddy. So dealing with dirty feet was probably not the nicest of jobs. On top of this, I just remembered how in some cultures the feet are recognized as the lowest thing. So to point your foot at someone or stick your feet on a desk or show someone the bottom of your feet is very insulting (that is the case here) How humble it is to wash a person’s feet.

Today has been one of the coolest days we have had. It almost felt cold. At noon the temperature was 29 degrees Celcius (that’s 83 degrees Fahrenheit) I can’t believe I thought that was cool… It almost felt a little cold. (ok not really) but I really enjoyed the weather. It is starting to heat up this afternoon though…too bad it doesn’t last. (sigh) I look forward to cool temperatures when I return home.

An interesting piece of Lao culture for you: I learned last night that when you have some food on a plate (for example pieces of pineapple.) it is believed that the person who eats the last piece will get the beautiful girl or the handsome boy. (depending on their gender of course) So sometimes when you are with a group of friends, someone might say, “I need the last piece, I need the last piece.” I do not know for certain how much they believe this… maybe about as much as we believe that the girl who catches the bouquet is the next person to get married… I really don’t know.

-Luke

3 Comments:

  • I caught the bouquet once. I did not get married. There must be something wrong with this highly logical and scientific custom. Perhaps because they were only plastic flowers? At another wedding I was at, I caught the heads of the roses that were thrown and the girl next to me caught the stems, and she got to keep them. Maybe she got to keep my person? That would be very scary. Remind me not to believe in superstitions. Besides, I was only about 13.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 AM  

  • I caught the flowers at my brother's wedding and I'm not married, but I sure am a lot closer. I got to keep the bouquet, too. His first anniversary is this Sunday. Why are we talking about bouquets on Luke's blog?

    Oh yeah, he brought it up. It's been quite warm here in ND, around 90 and Alyse's brain is fried, actually probably more like boiled, the humidity is very high for ND, 90%. You didn't get married because you were 13. Thirteen is unlucky. Just kidding, bad pun, bad llama. Never mind, Alyse is just gone.

    By Blogger Maggi, at 11:28 PM  

  • Wow, I can't imagine loving someone knowing they want to cause my death, (it must be an interesting feeling.) I was trying to be serious, it's not working, but I really like hearing other people's (that I know) insights on what they read and what God speaks to their hearts.

    Luke, you will have a lot of good experience in teaching. I am really proud of you and your hard work and determination. :D
    Have a great day!

    By Blogger Maggi, at 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home