Laos & China Summer 2005

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Dragon Fruit

At supper tonight we ate a dragon fruit. It was an oblong fruit about the size of my two fists side by side-maybe a little smaller. (Like if I was holding a sword with two hands) The fruit has a relatively thick hot-pink skin and there are these pieces of skin that are green and stick out from the sides of the fruit…they stick out kind of parallel to the fruit all facing one end. It is hard to describe… It kind of looks like a fireball and the green things on the side of the fruit look like tongues of fire. When pealed, the inside is white-grey with lots of little edible black seeds throughout it. When I took a bit, the texture of the fruit with the seeds reminded me of kiwi fruit. It did not have a very strong flavor… barely sweet at all… a little tart. I think I liked it… It was quite different. Ter said there are other ones that are larger and are sweet.

-Luke

Postscript: If you want to see some pictures of dragon fruit, check out this web page: http://www.geocities.com/wenjin92014/foto2001/dragon.htm Don’t be startled by the picture of the baby.

3 Comments:

  • Hey Luke....this is Annie, aka Ringo. Haven't talked to you in ages but by chance saw the link to your blog on the TBC website. Dragon fruit, huh? OK, you might hate me but since I'm an English major now I have to point out that you misspelled 'peeled'. I just had to. Will you really hate me if I use this comment box to try and get back in touch with Christy and Alyse? Well, for all 3 of you, and whoever else who knew me, you can email me at shovesc03@crown.edu (that's zero three at the end). I'm going to stop rambling now. I really am. And as soon as I have time to actually go to the computer lab (I'm at a random Internet kiosk)I'm going to actually sit down and read some of your blog entries :)
    God bless!
    ~Annie Shove

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 PM  

  • The website was a great way to confirm your description of dragon fruit. Thanks for the link.
    - dopad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 AM  

  • Well the fruit here is crazy (ok at lease it is here in Thailand), not like anything in America. it may be hairy, spiky or just plain foriegn. But of all the fruit that i have tried i have yet to find any that i really did not like. so Luke have you tried the stuff that is like grapefriut? it's good, but has a different texture .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home