Laos & China Summer 2005

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Sticky Rice and Mango

Responding to Comments:

Jay: I have a hard time believing that I enjoyed something with calf dung in it! That is crazy. Thank you for waiting to tell me until now. I am not certain how I would have reacted at the time.

Christy: Yes it is quite fun to discover things about English. It has always been automatic, and now I am figuring out why I say it that way. That’s interesting that you might have had dragon fruit juice.

Ringo: I’m glad you enjoy grammer.

Heather: I am quite glad you were able to pass my test with flying colors. Sorry that I disturbed you with my descriptions of food. I will try not to write anything else that is too disgusting, and if I do I will let you know in advance so that you can skip that paragraph. As to the dragon fruit, It is an interesting plant. Jay emailed me and told me he has one in his yard, so I will probably take a picture of it.

Isaac: Yes, my blog is quite lengthy. Maybe I will print it off when I get home and then glue the pages so that I can have it in book form—just like a real novel. Then again, maybe not… It takes up a lot less space on the computer. I don’t have your email address, could you send it too me? luke.storer@gmail.com I will answer your question that way. Good to hear from you. Is Craig down there? Tell him hello from me if he is, and tell him to email me about how his summer is going if he has time.

Dad: Glad you are enjoying the updates on teaching.

Official blog entry:

Have you ever wondered about duels? I know that I have seen them in movies and read all sorts of stories with them in books, but I have never really understood them. It’s always been a bit confusing to me. Then the other night I came across an article on www.howstuffworks.com all about them. If you are interested, take a look. I thought it was very helpful. http://people.howstuffworks.com/duel.htm

The other day I had a Lao desert. Mango and sticky rice with coconut milk. It is really quite good. The flavors go together very well. Kind of like the way the flavors in a peanut butter and tomato sandwich go together (not at all the same flavor, but the same delicious contrast in flavor) The temperature of the two foods were a contrast as well. The rice was warm and the mango was cold. (it reminded me of the contrast between ice cream and a hot brownie.)

-Luke

4 Comments:

  • Great food descriptions, Luke. Even the more interesting foods are fun to hear about. Thanks for continuing to keep us up to date.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

  • Having read "The Count of Monte Cristo" a thousand times and "Cyrano de Bergerac" a hundred times and "The Three Musketeers" a couple times, I have necessarily read a lot about duels. There were, however, a couple things in that article that were new, and it was all quite interesting.
    In the Three Musketeers, D'Artagnan is so determined not to be taken for a coward that he fights Porthos over an insult, Athos over running into him, and Aramis over a dropped handkerchief. Cyrano fights anyone he considers worthy of him or who insults his nose or who is stupid. You may recall that at the beginning of Monte Cristo, Edmond offered to fight Danglars, but Danglars refused, partly because he was a coward and partly because it was illegal on ships, I think. Later when Albert was to fight the count, his apology was, to the best of my knowledge, highly shocking because as the injured party, he should never apologize first. But technically he was following the rules of etiquette because he realized that the count had been injured first, years ago, and he was doing the equivalent of offering him the cane, as was described in the article.
    One interesting thing I noted in Monte Cristo that they did not mention in that article was that in some duels, one fighter got to shoot before the other. I think it was the offended party. Quite absurd. And when the count promised Mercedes that he would not kill her son, he was offering to break the rules of etiquette and fire into the air or wherever.
    Oh, and there was a little blurb about Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr's duel in the article, too. It is generally considered that Burr was trying to murder Hamilton, I believe, and Burr's two seconds, whose names I don't remember, were later tried for treason of some sort, along with him (?), and Francis Scott Key, who was a lawyer, defended them.
    On an entirely different subject, I have made something rather like that mango rice dessert you had. I saw someone make it on the Food Network and tried it; I used homemade whipped cream and a little sugar and rice and mango. It was ghastly. Ruth and Heidi hated it, but Grace and Becca loved it. Alyse and Nathaniel and I went to an Indian restaurant on Saturday, and they had rice pudding and mango pudding, but not mixed. Both were lovely.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • Hey Luke! phew...I finally caught up with reading your blogs. I haven't been to the library in a while (that's where I read them) and can only use the internet an hour at a time anyway. It has been fun reading what is going on in Laos. Especially the teaching, it is making me very excited to go to China to teach. I am also very pleased to announce that I am done raising support for my trip! I am so blessed to have so many people that are willing to support me. My church family has been especially wonderful in supporting me. Have you heard from Bethany Moos at all? Well I hope you are doing well and I will see you in about two weeks! :)
    -Bekah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:53 PM  

  • You never run out of creative ways of maintaining interest.

    Your delectable duets, mango/sticky rice, peanut butter/tomato, ice cream/hot brownie were capable of carrying a tableload of truth, all in good taste.

    Your mini course on duels was expanded nicely by having an available link. Nice homework... or is that net-work?

    - dopad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home