Laos & China Summer 2005

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Luke's Journal: Volume II

Responding to comments:

Christy: Yes, the Van der Waals thing was pretty cool. I was going to write something about suction cupped feet in the story, and I decided to read about the animal to make sure I was writing something accurate, and I found out about the force. I really want some of that tape. I really would like to climb on walls.

Mrs. K: Thanks for reading the blog. I am happy to hear that it has been fascinating. I will be teaching on Monday the Fourth of July, because unfortunately (for some strange reason) they don’t celebrate it here in Laos… oh well (laugh)

Heather: glad you liked the story. I love writing those things!

Official blog entry:

I have now begun the second volume of my summer journal. At the beginning of the summer, I purchased a small notebook to write about everything that happens. While I was in Thailand it became apparent that that notebook would not be enough (at that time I had already filled half of it) While we were in Hua Hin, (I think that is how you spell it… I wrote about this town earlier in my blog. We went there for part of a day, and I think I went to an internet café.) My cousin, Sky, and my Aunt, Milka bought me another notebook for when I filled up the first one. Well that day has come. (actually on it happened on the evening of July First) I wonder if it will last me the rest of the summer. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Saturday I traveled with Ter and five other girls to Ter’s hometown. I have found that I often really have no idea what is going on when I spend time with them. This may be because at the very most, they only speak English 50% of the time. We left at about 9:00 AM. I drove the Prado and we headed east of Savannakhet. After we left the main road, the road because a very bumpy dirt road, and we had to stop several times for directions. (this was greatly confusing to me for a while… didn’t Ter know where her hometown was?) We had to stop and trun around a couple of times because we passed wherever we were going, and we were trying to find our way. I enjoyed seeing the beautiful landscape of Laos, and I got to listen to a CD of my favorite songs as we drove in the comfortable air conditioned car so I didn’t really mind. The girls also seemed to be enjoying themselves chatter to each other in Lao and laughing quite often. After I while, I stopped trying to figure out if we were returning the way we came or taking a new road or which way was north, and I lelt the girls just give me directions. At one point, the road stopped having fields on both sides, instead it was a rather narrow road cut out between trees. At the next turn we came to a path that was like a tunnel cut into the jungle. It was just big enough for the Toyota to drive inside. It looked like something from a movie. It was pretty cool. Before we traveled 200 ft. onto this path everyone figured that this probably was not the right way. It took a while, but I skillfully maneuvered the Toyota around at a wider point were the path split into two parts. We decided to stop and take some pictures here. Speaking of maneuvering the Toyota, I think I am getting pretty good at driving stick-shift now. After some more back-tracking and driving around we got to a part of the road that had huge puddles, that looked like miniature lakes. We decided that it might be too deep for the Toyota, so we decided to turn around and just go to Ter’s house. (somewhere in the conversations I found that we had been trying to get to a lake that Ter hadn’t been to for 10 years… and that is why we had been getting lost.) We arrived at Ter’s parent’s house about noon. This town was like Savannakhet only a little less developed. The houses here were bigger than some of the raised huts we passed along the way, but they were raised on poles like those had been. Ter’s house was a nice big house, and we spent most of the day downstairs in the open area below it, but before we left we got to see the upstairs. The upstairs was very clean and had a lto of area. It had a few rugs and a couple pieces of furniture on one wall a few pictures on the opposite wall, but the rest of the house was pretty much open and empty. The walls, ceiling and floor were all beautiful wood. There were also a few bedrooms upstairs, and those were similar. (empty except for a few essential pieces of furniture.) I liked the house a lot. It felt like it was the loft of a barn that had been turned into a house. Or maybe a giant tree house. (like from The Swiss Family Robinson) The majority of the days was spent just “hanging out” an American phrase that explained to the girls. In the afternoon we went to a lake that seemed to be a sort of Animal Preserve or something. we fed some turtles from a dock, and we got to see them pretty well. They had pointed snouts, and some were about the size of a toaster while others were large enough so that their shell was bigger than a kitchen sink. At the end of the dock was a little building that was some sort of shrine or something the girls stopped and shook a little jar with some sticks in it, and then took apiece of paper and stuck it in a box. After supper we returned to Savannakhet and got there about 8:30 PM. I was quite glad that we had chosen not to spend the night. I was happy to be alone and glad to be able to enjoy my Sunday of rest. Tonight I will play badminton with them, and probably have supper with them afterwards, but I have had all of my morning and afternoon to myself.

Exciting news, I got info about my trip to China, and I have a list of the names of everyone I will be working with as well as a short description of who each person is. With this list, I will be able to begin to get to know each person and think of them before I ever meet them at the Airport. The team is about 21 people, and they will all arrive in Beijing at different times July 14th and 15th The cool part is that Bethany and I will be the last people to arrive, and everyone on the team will be at the Airport to welcome us.

-Luke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home