Laos & China Summer 2005

Thursday, July 07, 2005

As Happy as a Clam

Title explanation: a simile describing how I am doing.

Responding to comments:

Christy: Thanks for the further information on the space capable airplane. and the shortcut for putting an umlaut over a letter. ö

Ringo: I am currently sitting here trying to think of an appropriate comment to give you a hard time about shamelessly taking over my blog to “wave” at Christy. (smile) I suppose I could give you a warning… (the following quote is to be read with a deep authoritative voice) “Ringo, that is quite enough from you… consider this your first warning… if these actions continue I will be forced to…” oh great now I have to think of a threat… hmm… “I will be forced to use a quote from ‘A Hard Days Night’ (is that the name of the Beatles movie?… not “Help”) that is actually directed at me but will be directed toward you. If you do not cease these actions you will find out what I am talking about. (beacuse this whole message is probably really silly and confusing right now)

Official blog entry:

I was teaching one of my class at the school about similes and metaphors. One of my students made a couple sentences that I don’t think contain similes.

John is as tall as his father.

The dog is as friendly as she.

Do those count as similes? I tried to look for an answer online, but didn’t really find what I was looking for. Then yesterday afternoon I had the opportunity to speak with my father on Yahoo Messenger (I love you Dad!) and we came to the conclusion that they were not similes based on the dictionary’s definition: “a figure of speech that compares on thing to another of a different kind.” What do you think?

The class at the office was a lot of fun Yesterday On Tuesday, my students mentioned something called “Deep Impact” they tried to explain, but I didn’t really understand what it was, so I went online and read the news and an article on How Stuff Works (http://science.howstuffworks.com/deep-impact.htm) and then today we talked a little about it. Conversation flowed, and we were able to talk about the origin of the universe, evolution, cloning, and abortion and contraception. I don’t think these people have been challenged to think about these sort of things before (to question why they believe what they believe). I helped them see a little bit of both sides of the arguments. I love explaining things, so it was a lot of fun. I would like to show special appreciation to Mr. Schlecht who has taught me so much about everything. (Especially science) Because of Mr. Schlecht’s biology class, I was able to explain things to my students, answer questions, and give information for both sides of each issue.

The last two nights I went to the park to watch the sun set again. (or should it be sunset? I was watching the process of it setting, not just the moment it set… the while thing… well you get the idea either way). Tuesday I was by myself, and then last night. “the girls” were there. Afterward, we went and ate Korean Barbeque (this is now the third time I have had it, but it was at a different restaurant this time.) This restaurant had little building things built around the yard—instead of just a room with tables. The buildings were completely open (they didn’t have any walls) and you took off your shoes before you stepped upward onto the platform. There was a short table with little stools and a dim light hanging from the ceiling. It was fun eating at a short table, only my legs are a little longer than some people, and so they got tired of being bent after about an hour.

I think I have decided that I need to eat carbohydrates to feel full. The Korean Barbeque is good, but it is only vegetables, meat, and glass noodles. I have to eat a lot of this kind of food before I feel full, and I get tired of the taste of the food a long time before that happens. (There is this sauce that you dip everything in, and so everything ends up having that same flavor). The first time I ate at a Korean Barbeque I was able to fill up on fried rice, (a complex carbohydrate) and eat the meat and vegetables just to eat them… not to fill my empty stomach. So I ate until I was sufficiently tired of the food, and then when I got back to the house I ate some bread and cheese to supplement my supper.

-Luke

1 Comments:

  • Definitely not similies. The easiest way to remember whether something is a simile or not is to compare the word 'simile' to the like-sounding word 'similar.' A simile is something that has actual words in it that mean 'similar' and that also refer to abstract objects, or those not actually there. At least, that's my understanding of it. Saying you are as happy as that clam over there on the plate is not, to my knowledge, a simile. Happy as a metaphorical, symbolical, or theoretical clam is. I could be completely wrong. But I don't think so.
    You are heading off to China sometime soon, yes? I suppose I could read through your other entries until I find where you mentioned it.
    Annie's brazen exploitation of your blog was highly successful. Contact has been reestablished. Greetings, Ringo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home