Laos & China Summer 2005

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Describing Laos

Since the majority of what happened today was really the same as any other day, the majority of this entry will be a response to the comments Christy made on my blog.

Christy: I bet you would enjoy teaching English. It fits with all of the languages you are interested in. I think you would especially enjoy the part of helping people making the correct sounds with their mouths.

Hmm... I think I will get married. I wouldn’t mind that so much. Maybe I will do that some day.

As to my adjustment to being alone, I had only the one short attack of loneliness yesterday, and now today I haven’t had any.

When I go on to my next country, I will not be able to have access to the internet. Therefore I will not write on my blog. After I return, I think I will try to sum up those three weeks (without taking too much time) and post them on the blog… however three weeks is a long time to write about… I mean… look at the entry I wrote after being gone one week. We will see what happens.

Ok, now I will describe a little more of what it looks like around here. (not an easy task) let me see. Nearly all the houses are surrounded by fences. The nicer houses with iron fences, and the small wooden house have wooden fences. Along with these fences, It is common to have padlocks on the fence and on doors to the house. (I believe it is because the locks on their doors are not very secure. Houses have either wooden or tiled floors, (not carpet) Jays house has wooden floors. The Electricity here has been off for at least part of the day every day since I returned to Laos. (this is because people are working on the power lines every day) Usually the power is off in the morning, and then it turns on again sometime in the afternoon. That way we always have electricity at night. I think the electricity fluctuates too. When I sit on my bed and read, the light will be bright for a little while, and then it will be slightly dimmer most of the time.

As to the size of Sawannakhet. I believe it has several thousand people (maybe a couple hundred thousand? Luke does not know) There are a few main roads that are very nice, but the majority of them are quite rough, and some are dirt. I believe the road that goes past Jay’s house and the office was once paved, but that is not the case now (except for tiny patches here and there) when it rains the roads that are like this become quite sloppy. (probably also why the roads are in a poor condition. all the rain as eroded the pavement. A couple other things to give you an idea of the standard of living here. may of the children that I see on this street run around barefoot, and many people have these trash cans created from old tires. (quite an ingenious idea of reusing something that will never decay.) these trash cans look like black cauldrons in front of the houses. Although this city has quite a large number of people, it does not feel like that, maybe because of the dirt roads, the small house, and the fact that no building here is more than three stories tall. The vegetation includes pomegranate trees, bamboo, and coconut trees. Let me know if this description was helpful, or what else I could describe for you.

Official blog entry:

On the drive back to the house from the school today, the breeze was cool, and it began to rain. It rained so gently you could hardly call it raining, but it did a little more than just mist. As I drove the motorbike, (the one I drive to the school every day) I was very refreshed by wind and rain on my face.

Then in the afternoon, I was sitting on the little porch on Jay’s house, It began to pour down rain. The temperature dropped from 32 degrees to maybe 25 degrees while it was raining, and the sound of rain pounding on the roof was so beautiful. It was so very beautiful that it filled my heart with Joy.

-Luke

1 Comments:

  • Thank you for your description. That was what I was wondering about.
    Isn't rain especially marvelous after a long time of heat? It rained last Saturday, and I went and sat on the front porch and wrote Jais and greatly enjoyed the sound of the rain and the coolness of the wind.
    What is 35 degrees in Farenheit?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home