Laos & China Summer 2005

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Departure Imminent

Concerning the survey:

The final statistics for the “Is ‘happy as a clam’ a simile? Survey” are in. Out of the MANY who participated in this survey, at total of 75% stated that they thought “happy as a clam” was indeed a simile and 25% did not think it was a simile. Special thanks to Bekah, Micah, Dad, and Christy for their participation in this survey. So there you have it Christy, the majority of my audience agrees with me and says that it is a simile.

Responding to comments:

Heather: I can’t begin to imagine what is like to deal with constantly changing emotions. I have very grateful that under normal conditions I have very steady and reliable emotions. I think I would go insane if they changed more frequently. I have been taking pictures. I sure hope they all turn out. I have been a little nervous about that. I suppose we will see when I get back. If the pictures don’t turn out, I do have a couple CD’s of digital pictures that people have taken while I was here.

Christy: I do feel quite satisfied with my teaching here. That is what I have been feeling the most as I have been getting ready to leave today. Satisfaction that I made it, and I succeeded. I am ready now for the final part of my summer internship.

Official blog entry:

My evening at the Korean Barbeque was quite fun, and I ended up enjoying the food because first of all I decided not to use any of the sauce, (so this time everything tasted more interesting) and second, because they had fried noodles that I was able to fill up on. During the meal we were talking a little about things I should have seen before I left, and then someone said, “Tomorrow, would you like to go tomorrow morning?” I shrugged my shoulders and said, “sure.” So at the last minute, we decided to take the office staff and go on a road trip to a couple provinces where we would see some more of Laos and some beautiful waterfalls. I could spend a lot of time telling you all about it, but I need to use that time to prepare for my departure today. I will just tell you that we left at 7:00 AM and returned at 9:30 PM and I was quite glad I went, and I was also quite tired.

Today I leave Laos around 2:00ish and then go across the river to Mukdahan, Thailand. I will get on a bus at about 7:00 PM and ride through the night and arrive in Bangkok at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning. If things go according to plan, I will meet Bethany there, and we will go together to the airport, if we don’t see each other by 7:00 AM we will go to the airport separately and then meet at the gate. At 10:30 AM we depart from Bangkok, and at 4:10 PM we arrive in Beijing, China. At 8:00 PM we will depart from Beijing and fly to Yinchuan. That is where my information ends. I don’t know much more than that. We will teach English teachers in the middle of China, and then return to America—arriving in Minneapolis at 5:27 PM on August 8th.

For this next part of my summer I will not have internet access, so my email will pile up, and I will not be updating my blog. You may want to begin checking my blog for updates after Aug 8th, but I don’t know exactly how much I will write at that time, or if I will write anything the first couple of days back home.

I wish you all well.

-Luke

1 Comments:

  • Mike Wazowski! Of course "happy as a clam" is a simile! I was not talking about that. I was talking about the other examples you had in your entry. Something about John being as happy as his dog, or something. Whether 'happy as a clam' makes logical sense has nothing to do with whether it is a simile or not. Grr.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home