Laos & China Summer 2005

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

It Is Finished

Title of Blog Explained: Today was my last day of teaching in Laos.

Responding to comments:

Heather: I enjoyed your “blabbing” a great deal. Thanks for leaving your comments. It has been frustrating, but until yesterday, I didn’t realize the extent of the frustration and now it doesn’t matter any more. (except to learn from this for future reference.)

Christy: Yes, I have been amazed at all the crazy things I have done this trip. I have really experienced Laos a way most who come for a short time will never see. I think part of the reason I have learned so much is that I have been here alone. It has really “stretched” me.

Official blog entry:

Eighty-Eight hours of teaching! I have taught for eighty-eight hours since I returned to Laos. This is not counting the time I have spent explaining things outside of class, nor does it include my times with “the girls” (a good portion of which was spent explaining things and correcting pronunciation and grammar—unofficial teaching but teaching none the less)

I taught my class at the school in a classroom today, (but not the normal one—we didn’t have the key for that room today either) and I had four students. After class one of my students came and told me that she also works at the tourism office. She said she needs to be able to speak clearly when she answers foreigners’ questions. I told her that tomorrow I will meet her at the tourism office at two. I do not know how I will be able to help, but I figure if I go, I might be able to get more information and be able to understand what she needs to do. If tomorrow I am just as lost as I was today, I will apologize and say that I don’t know how to help her. It’s just as simple as that.

In the office, our class had normal attendance once again, and went well. In both classes I tired something new. I had them make up a story about how a beggar became a billionaire. It was quite a challenge for them, but I think they enjoyed it. Both classes told me that they thought I was a very good teacher. One student said that I am very clear in my explanations, and I use many different ways to help them understand how to pronounce a word or what it means. Another person said that he is better at pronunciation and reading now. He also said that he is better at using articles (people here like to leave off “a” and “the” example: “I work at Forestry Department.”) One student asked if I had training in psychology because I know how to teach like a professional teacher who has had psychology classes, and all of the students said that I should come back next year and teach for a longer period of time. I told my students that I was very glad they I had taught in Laos, and that I had learned a lot from teaching them. They had been very good students.

What are my feelings right now? Well feelings are very fickle they like to change a lot. If you had asked me on Friday how I felt about teaching, I would have said I have enjoyed it, and I would like to maybe come back and do it again. Today I don’t really feel like that at all. I am VERY glad I am done, and I can hardly wait to leave on Thursday afternoon. I won’t be too surprised if my feelings change their mind again as I float away from Savannakhet. (Luke rolls his eyes at the irrationality of emotions) By that time, I will probably wish that I could stay a lot longer.

Tonight I will be eating a farewell meal with all of my students from the office at the Korean Barbeque. (I think I might have accidentally given these people the idea that the Korean Barbeque is my favorite place to eat… oh well. It will be my last time there, and I think I am going to go home and eat some bread and cheese before we meet here at six.)

-Luke

1 Comments:

  • It must be quite satisfactory knowing that you have done well. I hope you get a great deal of pleasure out of that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home