Laos & China Summer 2005

Sunday, June 12, 2005

It's Sunday!

Responding to Comments:

Christy and Alyse: I am glad you were able to make it through my entire blog entry. Very good. Special congratulations to Christy who read it all in one shot.... and I wanted to remind you Christy, don’t be a farmer a hundred years ago. Alyse, I am glad you were able to find some pictures of the Beach Garden Hotel on the internet. And Laos does rhyme with cow.

Official Blog:

Today is Sunday.

After lunch, Ter called me and asked me to come spend time with her friends. The five women (ages ranging 24-33) were same people who were at the party when we watched “Bride and Prejudice” We sat and talked for a while, about a number of things. The conversation turned to culture, and then to the Lao New Year and how they celebrate it. Then Et, (if that is how you spell her name) explained that she believes a couple of different religions. She believes some of the things from one religion and some of the things from the other one. It seemed as if that was generally the way all of them thought about religion.

After a while a couple of them decided to make some supper, and we ate together. It was some excellent food. we had rice paper (my family and a couple others are probably the only ones who know what it is) at the table, and dipped it in water to make it soft, and then we chose which things on the table we would like to put in it. cucumbers, noodles, meat, garlic, papaya, lettuce, various leaves that I didn’t recognize, and some sort of sweet and sour sauce. It was very good. They said it is Vietnamese.

It is interesting, people here eat their food a combination of ways. Sometimes they eat with their hands, other times they have a fork and a spoon, and other times they have chopsticks. I suppose it all depends on what you are eating.

It was very enjoyable to spend time with people, although it was difficult for us to understand each other at times. Besides their poor pronunciation, I believe that some of the miscommunication was different body language, tone of voice, and things like that. There were many times that they all laughed, and I had no idea what was going on. (they were probably laughing at the strange foreigner) Before I left, they asked if we can get together some more later when I have free time, so that they can practice their English. I said yes.

-Luke

1 Comments:

  • Hey Luke!
    This is Linda and Paul, we just wanted to say hi! We finally got around to reading your blog today! Its been just nuts around here! We just wanted to tell you that we are praying for you and we hope that you have a great summer!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home